According to a recent U.S. Geological Survey, 143 million Americans live in earthquake-prone zones. While California still tops the list for earthquake possibilities, there's growing evidence to suggest areas throughout the east and midwest are susceptible to a seismic shockwave disaster.
The key to surviving in the wake of a quake is disaster preparedness. Topping that list? Your family's earthquake kit. Below is a checklist of the essentials you'll need to survive until normal services are restored. Experts advise you need at least three days of supplies, though a better plan is to pack enough for one week. It's also a good idea to refresh your kit each year. Here's what you'll need to have in waterproof containers, close at hand:
1. Water: One gallon of water per person, per day.
2. Food: Non-perishable food which can be prepared to eat safely without power. This includes baby food if you have one!
3. Tools: Manual can opener, knives, spoons, forks. It's good to have a multitool like a Leatherman (https://www.leatherman.com/ ) handy, too.
4. Pet Food: Don't let your animals suffer-- pack them food just as you would for yourself.
5. Flashlights: Candles are not a good idea, especially because of fire risk and the possibility of gas leaks.
6. Radio: A battery or hand-crank weather radio is a good idea.
7. Mobile device(s): At least one smart phone with a charger (preferably battery-powered charger)
8. Batteries: Get the right sizes for each device and have plenty on hand.
9. First-aid Kit: Should contain antibiotic ointments, band aids, bandages, wipes, and cold packs.
10. Prescription Meds & Glasses: You won't be able to get refills during a disaster, so have your medical essentials ready-to-go.
11. Toiletries: Soap, toilet paper, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and sunscreen.
12. Blankets & clothing: Remember you may be "camping" during the disaster, so have seasonal clothing.
13. Vital documents: Get copies of your IDs, any medical records, family photos, passports, and insurance info.
14. Money: Cash and credit cards. A minimum of $100 in cash and one current credit card with plenty of available credit.
Think maybe it's time to move out before the next big quake? I'm happy to help you sell your home. Let's talk about a plan to get you top dollar for your property and heading toward more stable ground.